The Hansel Family

The Hansel Family

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

I dream about him...

I dream about him, mostly during the day, but occasionally at night.  And it's sweet.  I woke up the other night with tears in my eyes at just the thought of holding him, while also contemplating the life of his mother.  What does she do?  What happened to her that led her up to this moment? In Sub-Saharan Africa, a woman has a lifetime risk of 1 in 39 of dying from pregnancy related complications.  In Uganda in 2010, 4,700 mothers died in childbirth. That's heart breaking.  Maybe she didn't even get to meet him.  Maybe she got to meet him, but only for a prayerful moment, asking God to take care of her precious baby boy.


Not only do I dream about him and the joy he'll bring to our life, I dream about the difference we will attempt to make in his country of birth.  I already have a pull to contribute, to grow in my knowledge of what happens there, and to make sure he knows where he comes from, while giving him a firm foundation of where he is.


“I don’t believe that we will make the progress on HIV/Aids 
without addressing maternal mortality. We will not make the progress we want on malaria without addressing maternal mortality. We will not make progress on getting more children to school without reducing maternal mortality. When a mother survives, a lot survives with her.”

~Sarah Brown, safe motherhood advocate, Wife of former Prime Minister of the U.K. 



No comments:

Post a Comment