The Hansel Family

The Hansel Family

Thursday, October 25, 2012

holy paperwork batman!!

We had our first home visit with a representative from our home study agency last night.  She was great and a mother of 5, so our brood running around with a million questions didn't distract her at all.  She has two biological children, then two adopted from Guatemala, not twins, 6 weeks apart, then one adopted domestically.  You could tell she was born to be a mother.  It was interesting to talk with her about the comments people make: why don't you just get pregnant?  Or, aren't there plenty of kids here in our country that need help?  This isn't about just having another kid, we all know I look at Bob and get pregnant.  And this isn't about borders.  These are God's children and he has placed the desires of our hearts.

She came to go over the loads and loads of documents we'll need to complete during this process.  Our social worker will do 4 visits, starting as soon as we complete some of those said documents!  I could see Bob's eyes growing and feelings of being overwhelmed wash over me as she went through the list. She left, we got the kids to bed, hung out, then got in bed... then we talked.  Wow, we have to get a psych evaluation and finger prints and background checks and blood work and name guardianship should we pass, and ... and ... and ... Whew!  As I laid there this feeling of "Erin, you would do this 10,000 times over for one of the children you already have."  Yep, you're right, I'd figure out how to fly to the moon and back for them if I had to.  So we will do this for the child that grew in our hearts and someone else's belly too.  I still cry just thinking about him, knowing God ordained his life to be part of our family.  Good thing I like check lists :)

2 comments:

  1. Goodness Erin,
    You know how to choke a mama up! Well put, we would figure out how to fly to the moon and back, no question! If there's anything I can help with through this process, PLEASE ask!
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this!! And I'm so happy I get to be close by as you go through this process!! I can't express how excited I am to meet him!!!!

    ReplyDelete